[HMS News] Parent Flash 6-4-10

William Carozza bcarozza at hopkintonschools.org
Sat Jun 5 11:04:00 EDT 2010

HMS PARENT FLASH 6-4-10

The emergence of the media in America has created a society of
celebrities and men and woman of renown. Yet, we know that much of the
success in this world comes from people behind the scenes. One such
organization is the Hopkinton PTA that operates in relative anonymity
and yet makes a huge difference in the lives of Hopkinton students and
their families. I could thank many people, but on behalf of all of the
fine individuals who volunteered for PTA activities, I want to thank
the officers Toby Messitt, Stephanie Lesko, Catherine Marshall, and
Kelly Lewis for their commitment to our children this year. In
particular, Stephanie deserves special kudos for taking over as
President when Toby needed to resign his position.

Speaking of success, our annual PTA Fun Fair showed a profit this year
of $7143.00, a remarkable amount for a one day event.

The new slate of officers for next year, elected last night is:

President: Sam Delgado

Vice President-Open

Secretary: Catherine Marshall

Treasurer: Yolanda Rinden

On a very different note, I would ask that parents show caution in
having their children bring “silly bands” to school, which are
essentially rubber bands worn around the wrist. They are cleverly
colored and made into different shapes. While we are not banning them
from the school, certain teachers are not allowing them in their
specific classrooms. Please refer to teacher newsletters for this
information. The silly bands can be a health hazard and certainly a
distraction. Thanks.

Once again, I would ask that parents drive with caution throughout our
parking lot, especially at drop-off and dismissal times. There are
many children walking with their parents through the lot during those
periods and we certainly have a few cars from time to time who are
practicing their NASCAR skills in the wrong location. Thank you so much!

The last day of school is June 23, barring any more snow days, ( a
joke...I think) and school will dismiss that day at Noon.

In terms of our web site: check out our recent podcast which can be
accessed at our home page as well as many new pictures from our recent
Parent Luncheon. In addition, the Long Tail Monkeys who played at Fun
Fair were recently featured in the Concord Monitor, and the link to
some songs from their concert for HMS students at the beginning of the
school year is included at our home page as well. Head to: http://www.hopkintonschools.org/haroldmartinschool/

Have a wonderful weekend and I hope your family can spend some time
together.

Sincerely,

Bill Carozza, Principal

CUB SCOUTS

Are you going into first grade in the fall and interested in Cub Scouts?
Boys bring your mom or dad to our first meeting of the Tiger Cub den
on Sunday, June 6th from 3:30 - 4:45 pm at the Scout Cabin on Kimball
Lake (behind Blazer's Fireside Tavern).  We'll play some games, take a
short hike, have a snack, and answer any questions you might have
about scouting.

Questions?  Please contact Cubmaster Debbie Dyer-Quinn at 746-2480
(evenings) or nh.pack77.cubmaster at gmail.com

Calling all Cub Scouts ....  It's time again for the Cub Olympics!
We'll meet at Elm Brook Park on Sunday June 13th from 11:30 to 2:00 to
enjoy our last pack meeting of the year.  We'll have some fierce
competition for those gold, silver and bronze medals topped off by a
barbeque lunch prepared by Chef Maloy.  Remember your families are
invited to join us.

Interested in learning more about Cub Scouting, contact Cubmaster
Debbie Dyer-Quinn and join us for an afternoon of fun!

SUMMER READING

§     STUDENT LIBRARY BOOKS DUE JUNE 7TH

§     SUMMER BOOK CHECK-OUT

Students from the Harold Martin and Maple Street Schools are invited
to borrow books from the school library for their summer reading
pleasure.  Arrangement for summer check out begins when a student has
returned all materials borrowed during the school year (due June 7th),
and returns a permission slip signed by a parent.  During the week of
June 14th - June 18th  children can come to the library to make their
selections for summer check-out.  Parents are welcome to visit the
school library to assist their child in making selections and to help
them carry books home.

ONLINE RESOURCES

Over the summer, I will be updating the Library Wiki: http://hopkintonlibraries.wikispaces.com/
   which contains links to many summer reading resources including:

Tumblebooks (online animated picturebooks- Username: haroldmartin |
Password: hms )

World Book Encyclopedia (Username:  hmartin     |Password:  home )

Grolier Encyclopedia (Username:  hmps  | Password: 123)

Learn more about summer reading opportunities on the June HMS
podcast:  http://wcarozza.podomatic.com/

FROM THE HOPKINTON TOWN LIBRARY LIBRARY

The annual Friends of the Hopkinton Town Library Book Sale will soon
be happening, on Saturday, 26 June 2010, from 9 am to 4 pm.  As
always, it will be in the library's Community Room.  This annual event
is not merely a fantastic opportunity to find some treasures among the
huge selection of titles for your own bookshelves, it really is a
pleasant occasion to visit with friends and neighbors.  This is the
largest fundraiser the Friends hold each year, which translates into a
variety of quality programming and services for all library patrons.
Please save the date!

Aside from attending this on 26 June (and encouraging your friends to
do the same - just forward this message to them), we welcome your help
in two additional ways:

1)  Donate books.  As of TODAY, 1 June, we'll be receiving donated
books directly in the Community Room.  Donations will be taken through
25 June.  Of course, please see a librarian before leaving your
books.  Spring is here!  Why not clear out the books that someone else
might love more than you do?  Make space for the books that you'll
come home with on the day of the sale, right?

2)  Volunteer to help, before the sale and/or the day of.  We have
many ways to employ your talents.  Some call for a kind face, others
require a strong back, and some would benefit from organizational
skills.  But even if you feel grouchy, tired, and chaotic, we will
happily find a match for you.  Please get your name, phone number, and
e-mail address to Susan Lawless by calling 995-6162, e-mailing libraryfriends at tds.net
, or leaving a message at the library's Circulation Desk.

Thanks!

for any who don't know:
Hopkinton Town Library
61 Houston Drive
Contoocook, New Hampshire 03229
603-746-3663

PTA Thank you

We would like to thank all of the parents and educators for
volunteering their time and making it possible for us to fund the
following fieldtrips, school activities and projects.  PTA membership
dues and proceeds from fundraisers, such as the FunFair, Oi! soy
candles, Kids Kreations Artwork and Harvest Festival have enabled the
PTA to continue to help enhance our children’s education within the
Hopkinton School System.

Harold Martin

Wildlife Educator in the classroom for Second grade- $255

Bonnie McAuliffe- for 3 B's posters and supplies -$150

Montshire Museum for the 2nd grade class -$480.00

Squam Lake Science Center 3rd grade field trip for -$476

Author in Residence Kathy Brodsky  a writer on today's environmental
issues from Manchester, NH.  $150/hr x 5hrs- $750 total.

Artist in Residence  for Harold Martin and Maple Street Schools- $1000

Paper for the Publishing Center for grades 1 to 3- $40

Ice Cream Socials- $344.73

Boo Hoo Breakfast -$44.83

Telephone Directories -$525.20

Maple Street

Art Club- for middle school supplies -$300

Lego Robotics Team at Maple Street School for -$150 for start up costs

Maple Street yearbooks- $75 for the shipping cost

Artist in Residence  for Harold Martin and Maple Street Schools- $1000

Lowell Mills 5th grade field trip- $585

Boston Museum of Fine Arts /Egyptian exhibit for the 6th grade- $240

Telephone Directories -$525.20

Middle/High School

Institute of Art and the Currier Museum for Grades 9- 12 drawing and
photography class - $120

High School project graduation donation of -$200

Middle/High School library request for $300 to upgrade competitive
buzzer system.

Hopkinton/ John Stark Robotics team to travel to Atlanta, Georgia for
the national competition to be held April 15-17- $500

Year Book Donation -$100

Washington DC High School Fieldtrip Scholarship -$379.00

RECREATION DEPT.
Please check the Hopkinton Recreation website for updated
information.  http://www.hopkinton-nh.gov (then click Recreation)

You can sign up for our email list serve at http://www.hopkinton-nh.gov/subscriber
  and clicking “Recreation Notices.”

Family Entertainer at the Gazebo
On Saturday, June 12 at 2pm, join the Recreation Department in
welcoming Steve Lindholm “The Chicken Man” to the town gazebo in
Contoocook.  Be prepared to get your funny bone tickled!  This is a
sing-a-long, clap-a-long and laugh-a-long event with Steve as he
delights us with his cast of original characters that will make us all
dance, clap, laugh, giggle, wiggle and jump around.  Call 746-2915
with any questions.  This is free event for all town residents!

Fourth Annual 4th of July Family Fun Day!
The Hopkinton Recreation Department is pleased to announce that this
year’s July 4th Family Fun Day is packed full of fun games, great food
and wonderful entertainment!  The event will be at Houston Park from
12:30 – 3:30pm on July 4th, following the kid’s parade at 11:30am and
the Independence Day Parade at 12noon.  This year we will see the
professional “Johhny the K” family entertainer with his hundreds of
hats, balloon animals, face painting, dunking booth, kids games, pie
eating contest, lots of great food and much more!  The “Tooky Cookie
Bakeoff” will be back so get your secret recipe out!  A 5K fun run
will start at 9am from the American Legion lot.  We are still looking
for volunteers to help out with this great community event.  Volunteer
meetings are Wednesdays June 2, 16 and 30 at 6pm at the Senior
Center.   Contact the Recreation Department at 746-2915 with any
questions.  See you July 4th!!!

Summer Movies in the Park
Mark your calendars….The results of the voting are in and the three
Movies in the Park will be: Saturday, June 26 – Wizard of Oz,
Saturday, July 24 – Where the Wild Things Are and Saturday, August 28
- UP.  The movies are held at Houston Fields behind the library at
sundown.  Bring your blankets, chairs, friends and family and enjoy
the show.  Concessions will be available for sale.  Hopkinton/
Contoocook residents only.   Call 746-2915 with any questions.

Home Gardening Workshops
The Hopkinton Recreation Department is teaming up UNH Cooperative
Extension out of Merrimack County to bring you a Five-part series of
gardening education.  The sessions are all free but you must pre-
register for each session.  You may come to some or all of the
sessions.  They will be held at the Slusser Senior Center from 6:30pm
– 8pm on the assigned days.
Each session is specific to a certain discipline, the last three
sessions are:
June 16 – Garden maintenance
July 14 – Harvest time and food preservation
September 1 – Putting your garden to bed for the winter
  Please call 746-2915 to register and for more detailed information
on each session.

  Community Scrapbooking
The Recreation Department’s Community Scrapbooking is being held the
2nd Friday and 4th Sunday of EVERY month!!     Whether you’re young or
old, scrapbooking keeps your memories alive.  The scrapbooking group
is for everyone from beginners to experts and are hosted by volunteers
Liz and Patrice.   Bring your pictures to organize and scrapbook if
you have one.  Some other materials and tools will be provided.
Fridays are from 6:30pm – 10pm and Sundays from 1:30pm – 5pm and are
held at the Slusser Senior Center.  Next session is Friday June
11th.     Call 746-2915 for more information.

American Red Cross Swim Lessons
The Recreation Department will once again hold be offering Swim
Lessons at Kimball Pond.  The lessons continue to be complete success
with most sessions filling up.  The classes will be for children ages
4 years or older and will include five levels, including a new advance
level, taught at various times.  Cost is $40 per two-week session and
sessions run from Monday through Thursday with Friday as a make-up day
if a class is cancelled.  Session I: 7/5 – 7/16, Session II: 7/19 –
7/30, Session III: 8/2 – 8/13. To obtain a registration form go to www.hopkinton-nh.gov
, click on recreation.  If you have any questions, please call 746-2915.

Hopkinton Summer Day Camp
Summer is around the corner and so is Hopkinton’s Summer Day Camp. We
are excited to offer an even better camp with many great activities,
trips and programs for an affordable cost.  The camp is for youth ages
6 through 12 years and will include seven one-week sessions beginning
June 28th and ending August 13th.  Activities will include arts and
crafts, indoor and outdoor games, swimming, kayaking, weekly field
trips, special events and safe fun for everyone.  To obtain a
registration form go to www.hopkinton-nh.gov, click on recreation.
Many sessions will fill up so sign up early.  If you have any
questions, please call 746-2915.

British Soccer Camp
The British Soccer coaches are back!!!  Last year's camp attracted
over 100 youngsters as the coaches from England helped every
participant fine tune their soccer skills, while keeping all
entertained. This year’s camp will be even better! Camp will be held
July 26 through July 30 and will include full and half-day sessions
with a mini-session for the young ones.  The camp is for ages 4-14
years and you can register online at http://
www.challengersports.com/.  Call 746-2915 with any questions.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!!
Tickets on Sale Now!!  The Hopkinton Recreation Department wants you
to join us for another amazing outing to Fenway Park to watch your
beloved Boston Red Sox.  The package includes roundtrip transportation
from Contoocook to Fenway on a luxury coach, driver gratuity, and a
ticket to the ballgame (right field box 87).  The cost is $85 per
person.  The game is Sunday, September 19th at 1:35pm. The bus will
leave Contoocook at 10:30am from the Slusser Senior Center parking
lot.  Upfront payment is required to confirm spot.  Tickets are on
sale for Hopkinton/Contoocook residents.  Call 746-2915 with any
questions.

Stained Glass Club
Come to the Slusser Senior Center every Thursday from 6 - 8pm to work
on your stained glass projects or other crafts.  If you are a skilled
expert in glass making or just learning, do stop by.  There will be a
mix of levels of skills and if you are new, we can help you get
started.  Some supplies are available for use, but it is best for you
to have your own.  Call 746-2915 for more information.

Tai Chi for Everyone – Beginner Class Added
New beginner class!!!  Are you interested in learning the art of Tai
Chi or are you a seasoned expert.  Beginner classes are starting June
3rd at 7pm and will continue every Thursday evening.   All are invited
join the Tai Chi group at The Slusser Senior Center.  More advance
classes are Tuesdays 7pm – 9pm and Saturdays 8:30am – 10:30am.  There
will be a small cost/donation for each class.  Call 746-2915 for more
information.

Justin La Vigne
Parks and Recreation Director
Slusser Senior Center Director
Town of Hopkinton NH
603-746-2915

_ _

Bill Carozza  | Principal
Harold Martin School
271 Main St.
Hopkinton, NH 03229
603 .746 .3473
http://www.hopkintonschools.org/haroldmartinschool
http://billcarozza.com
twitter: wcarozza

Please consider the environment and cost before printing this email.